Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 | By Linda Smoker | 62 Comments

Simple Quilts & Sewing – Spring 2011

As editors, we love our work, especially when it comes to the creative side of selecting simple projects. For many who are new to sewing, starting with an easy project first, such as a pincushion, gives the confidence to try something a little more challenging, such as a baby quilt. But…for those quilters who have been sewing most of their lives, sometimes it is nice to take time out from quilting to whip up a table topper for the kitchen or a pretty tote for a friend!

Regardless of your skills or years behind a sewing machine, we feel certain this issue is packed with projects that will catch your eye and end up on your “sewing list.” And speaking of sewing machines, see how you can win one from Singer.

You’ll be happy to see that the projects in this magazine are so easy that they can be completed in an hour, afternoon or even a long relaxing weekend. We hope you’ll find that the joy of sewing will always be a special (and fun) part of your life!

Deborah Hearn, Editor-in-Chief
Lisa Swenson Ruble, Managing Editor

• dee says:

Posted March 8, 2011 at 7:31 am

I have spent hrs going through this wonderful jam packed on line mag. great job and thank-you so much for a great publication.
    dee

• Simple Quilts and Sewing Magazine – Sweet Dreams! says:

Posted March 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm

[...] you seen the new magazine, Simple Quilts and Sewing?  It’s available on the news stand now.  Check out page 60 for a new picture of my Cotton [...]

• lee downard says:

Posted April 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

I just finished the e-pocket and found it isn’t long enough using the directions in the article. Wider than necessary for my Kindle and not long enough for the flap to cover nicely. I redid my measurements over and over and it doesn’t work for me. I’ll make another adding two more inches to the length.

• Kathly says:

Posted April 4, 2011 at 12:02 am

Great issue – the quilter tips are outstanding. I would like to subscribe but can not find any on line subscription.

• Becky says:

Posted April 10, 2011 at 10:22 am

I got this magazine last week and I can’t put it down! I absolutely love love love this magazine. In the kids and babies section, there are 7 projects that I am doing. My neice is pregnant so the timing couldn’t be more perfect. The Rollin’ Along project I enlarged the parttern and made a ball for my ‘granddog’. She loves it! Sewing projects and scrap quilts, there’s a couple of projects there I also want to do. I don’t know how often this magazine comes out, but maybe I’ll have enough to finish these before the next one! Thank you for a great issue.

• Deb says:

Posted April 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm

how do i subscribe to simple quilts and sewing?

• Quilt Magazine says:

Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hi Deb! We are not offering subs. for Simple Quilts & Sewing at the moment.

• Nancy Rimshas says:

Posted April 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

I love your magazine with more than just quilts in it. I just wish I could subscribe to it, as I don’t live next to a news stand.

Keep up the good work.

Nancy Rimshas

• Sheila Hutson says:

Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:50 am

I love this magazine!!! It has so much information and easy, quick, cute projects.

• Simple Quilts & Sewing Magazine « Diannajessie says:

Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

[...] had to go past the magazines to spy what they had in the craft and sewing section and spied this magazine which is perfect, I hope, for the likes of me.  I have been pondering the way I will be trying to [...]

• Michelle says:

Posted April 20, 2011 at 8:04 am

This magazine is just perfect! It was exactly what I was looking for… some quilting mixed with simple sewing projects. I would love for this to become a regular monthly publication. I’d subscribe in a heartbeat! Thanks for the awesome issue.

• Donna says:

Posted April 20, 2011 at 9:05 am

I am making the Cozy Carrier and find that the 6″ squares do not make long enough straps for the loops.

• Donna says:

Posted April 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Just to clarify my previous post:The length of the straps for the loops will work, but it is tricky getting them sewed.

• B says:

Posted April 21, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Donna, I am also having the same issue with the loops–did you try a different length?

• Jennifer says:

Posted April 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

I am making the Four Squares quilt and found my blocks to be 2 inches too small following the cutting directions (6-3/4″ instead of 8-3/4″). I think the strips should be cut 2.5″ instead of 2″ as stated in the pattern. I’m a little frustrated that my quilt is going to be a foot short unless I add more blocks. This was my first attempt at diagonals, and it may be my last. Ha!

• Donna says:

Posted April 25, 2011 at 4:15 pm

B, I just stuggled with the 6″ size. When you pull the handle through these loops it hangs nicely so if you make the 6″ square larger, do not add too much–even 1″ would help.

• Patchwork Oilcloth Nappy/Diaper Bag – Small « Diannajessie says:

Posted April 28, 2011 at 1:03 am

[...] enjoying my patchwork sewing and love using up my scraps of oilcloth.  I was paging through the ‘Simple Quilts and Sewing‘ magazine and found some inspiration on how to make a compact nappy, wipes and mat holder. [...]

• Nancy says:

Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I am confused about the cozy carrier. I am probably being really stunned, but I have no idea how the handle goes through the loops when I am looking at the diagram. I haven’t made it yet, but is it clearer when you have made it up?

• Bonnie says:

Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I made a few of the thread/pincussion bags for myself and a few friends. They turned out well, but I had some difficulties with the pattern. The cutting instructions left out cutting a particular piece 1.5 x 9 and there was a piece 3 x 5 required in the cutting instructions that wasn’t used in the product. The directions didn’t include any pressing directions which would have been helpful. Great magazine.

• Barbara says:

Posted May 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I can’t seem to find this magazine. I live in the Buffalo, NY area. Can I buy it online.

• Marilen Forneas says:

Posted May 19, 2011 at 10:53 am

Please contact our back issue department at Harris Publications, 212-462-9536.

• Melanie Windham says:

Posted May 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’m working on the project “Great Catch” on page 65, and have managed to get to the instructions to sew the accent band onto the bag. I’m a bit confused. The band seems too long. Has any one tried making the thread catcher in this issue? I love the bag, but it would have also been helpful if she would have given her seam allowances as well. Maybe they are there, and I just have not noticed.

Posted May 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Melanie,

I have contacted the editor of Simple Quilts & Sewing and she will email you the help you requested.

• Marilyn Lee says:

Posted May 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Do you have old copies of the magazine available for purchase?. I am looking for an issue that I received as a gift in November ’10 while in the hospital. It had small Christmas quilted things on the bottom of the cover. I am wondering if this was the issue from a winter edition and if so, how could I purchase a magazine?

Marilyn Lee
    411 Linden
    Shenandoah, Ia, 51601

Posted June 2, 2011 at 11:16 am

Back issues are available for purchase on our website, http://www.quiltmag.com, by clicking on “Back Issues” on the home page.

• Rhonda says:

Posted June 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Love this issue!! Have really enjoyed looking through it and can’t wait to try a few projects. I even bragged about it in my podcast.

• Magazines « Diannajessie says:

Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:48 am

[...] Quilts For The Home‘, this is a spring edition.  I do look forward to the next ‘Simple Quilts and Sewing’. [...]

• evalina lowe says:

Posted July 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm

would like to subscribe to simple quilts would like current issue

Posted July 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

Unfortunately, Simple Quilts is only available on the newsstand and in your local shops. Our new issue of Simple Quilts will be coming out this fall. Check it out!

• Joy Watson says:

Posted July 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Love your magazine It’s easy to understand and your formate is wonderful. Wish I could subscribe to Simple Quilts and Sewing.

• Brenda says:

Posted July 20, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Love the Simple Quilts and Sewing magazine. I made a matching set of the Thread catch, Cube Pincushion, and needle case as a gift for my “Christmas in July” party for my quilt club. My gift was the “hit” of the party!!! LOVE…LOVE…LOVE it. Please keep them coming on the news stand if not offered by subscription.

• Linda Miller says:

Posted August 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I purchased the spring edition of Simple Quilt and found the Sweer Dreams quilt by LynnBrown (I believe this is correct). I ordered the kit but have misplaced the magazine. How can I get another copy.
    Thanks
    Linda

Posted August 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Simple Quilts will be on the newsstand until Oct. 10th. Call you local quilt shop or check in your local retail stores.

• Kaylene says:

Posted August 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I LOVE this magazine! I have made so many of the projects in it. I am working on the “Great Catch” bag and I am stuck on making the accent band. Is there any supplemental directions anywhere else or someone I can contact for help? Thanks in advance, and I will be looking for more of these magazines.

• Sharon Touchton says:

Posted August 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I am making Pencil-ville from the spring 2011 edition. I am having a hard time with the sky pieces (which according to the pattern should be 3 1/2″ by 3 1/4″) fitting properly onto the roof piece. If I put right sides together squaring up the edges of the roof and the longer side of the sky piece, it is not large enough to fold back. I’m thinking the measurement on the sky piece needs to be a bit larger for it to work?? Please advise. I love the quilt!

• Shelley says:

Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I LOVE this entire issue! I really love the “boy” fabric used in the Grab n Go Diaper Bag on page 45. Can you please tell me where I can purchase the three fabrics used? Thank you!

• martha says:

Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:49 am

i loved this mag…i made two different quilts from it so far and i will probably be making the e-book case later….right now have two too many quilts that people want

• Victoria Thomas says:

Posted August 25, 2011 at 9:17 am

I agree with lee downard, my Sony E-Reader doesn’t correspond with the measurements. The one’s given are far too wide and there isn’t enough for the flap.

• Ashley Layne says:

Posted September 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

I just found this magazine and love that it offers easy items for both sewing and quilting. I was disappointed to learn a subscription was not available. Please give serious thought to offering more issues, even if it’s only 4/year. Lots of people would subscribe, I know I would!

• Jenny says:

Posted September 8, 2011 at 2:02 pm

When will the new fall issue be on sale?

Posted September 10, 2011 at 8:50 am

The new issue of Simple Quilts & Sewing is scheduled to go on sale 10/14/11. Enjoy!

• Connie Anderson says:

Posted September 23, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I would like to purchase the Spring Simple Quilts and Sewing Magazine from Quilt Magazine.
    Cannot find one in the stores and cannot find where I can order one through the internet.I’m looking for the pattern for the chalk board roll for traveling.
    Connie Anderson

Posted September 27, 2011 at 8:36 am

We will get the Spring issue up on our “Back Issues” order page soon.

• Joyce Starr says:

Posted October 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm

How can I get a copy of Simple Sewing and Quilting Spring 2011?

Posted October 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

These issues are soon to be available on our “Back Issues” page of our website.

• Connie says:

Posted November 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Where do I find the directions for the ruffled flower burpcloth?

Posted November 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Go to Sewing Projects/Accessories. Look on the 3rd row to the right and you will find an image of the flower burpcloth. Click that image and then click the “Download pdf” button and the pattern will load to your computer.

• Linda Walsh says:

Posted December 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

I have made the thread catcher and now want to make another one. Just mailed the card in to subscribe. Thanks for a great magazine. Perfect for me, not just quilts but other sewing projects.

Wished I could have ordered online to get the magazine quicker.
    Linda

• Joan says:

Posted December 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I can’t find 1 1/2″ polyester boning required to make the thread catcher. Does anyone know of an online store that I can purchase this?
    Thanks. Joan

• Linda Adam says:

Posted January 2, 2012 at 3:11 am

Back in April, Jennifer posted a query about strip measurements given at 2 inches on the Four Square Quilt pattern. I cannot see that a reply was given to her so I will fill-in and advise her & anyone else who attempts this quilt, that indeed the strip measurements should be 2 1/2″

It makes a lovely quilt!

Linda A
    Ontario, Canada

• Pat says:

Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I have just glanced through this magazine once again & noticed a fabric that I would like to obtain. The fabric, with the train cars, is used for the diaper bag on pg 44. I looked for a listing of the fabric manufacturer source & did not seen anything. Is there any way that I can find out this information? We will be blessed with our first great grandchild in May & the color motif will be chocolate brown & lime green. I think that I could sure incorporate this particular fabric into a baby quilt using those colors.
    Thank you.

• Kathy says:

Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Is there a Simple Quilt and Sewing issue planned for Spring 2012?

Posted March 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Yes! Simple Quilts & Sewing Sprint 2012 will go on sale 3/20/2012. Enjoy!

• Sharen says:

Posted March 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I have not been able to buy the spring magazine ,I bought the winter edition it was great ,please advise where I can buy the spring one ,I live close to Edmonton Alberta Canada. Thanks Sharen

• Phyllis says:

Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I’m a bit late, but confused with cozy carrier also. I decided to cut the next short loops 6″x7″ … way too frustrating with 6″ squares. Also the “How to use” paragraph contradicts the last instruction paragraph. Can’t “pass the long sta through both short loops to secure …” if one has already “stitched the free end of the long strap to the opposite corner…” I’m ignoring How to use paragraph.

• Leslie says:

Posted May 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

HOW CAN I SUBSCRIBE TO SIMPLE QUILTS AND SEWING? THIS IS THE BEST MAGAZINE EVER. I JUST BOUGHT A NEW BABY LOCK ELLURE PLUS MACHINE AND I AM SEWING AWAY….BECAUSE OF YOU!!

Posted May 9, 2012 at 8:36 am

That’s GREAT! Unfortunately, SQ&S is not available at this time for subscription. It is only available twice a year at your local stores.

• Amy says:

Posted May 14, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Is it possible to purchase back issues? (ie Spring 2011 and Fall 2011?)

Posted May 15, 2012 at 8:25 am

Yes! On our home page, click the “Back Issues” tab at the top of the page and there you can order any of our back issues.

• Anne says:

Posted July 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

I have. I keep going back to get ideas for new projjects

• Becky Bates says:

Posted July 23, 2012 at 11:41 am

Looks like there are a lot of requests for subcriptions to be offered for this magazine.
    If not printed, maybe you could consider a digital subcription?? Some of don’t have time to chasing down the current issues at quilt shops that are across town and no where near where we live. You are losing a lot of rural customers too, who have no access to a quilt shop in their area….

• Joan says:

Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I’d like to make the Great Catch thread catcher but cannot find the 1 1/2″ polyester boning required. Anyone know where I can purchase this? Thanks