Posted on Thursday, February 5, 2009 | By Linda Smoker | 22 Comments

QUILT, Issue #99 – Apr/May 2009

Dear Quilting Friends,

Color is wonderful! Take an otherwise dull-looking room, toss in a bright quilt, and it comes to life. Look through a decorating magazine and you can hardly turn a page without seeing a quilt. Just think how quilters a hundred years ago loved to incorporate splashes of color into their quilts with shades of salmon (bubblegum pink) and hues of lime (poison green)! When I first started to quilt, I was afraid of brights, but today some of my favorite quilts are those on which I ventured outside my zone of color to give my quilt a lively hot spot!

Talking about hot spots, we had a great time of photography on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The Gull Cottage at Corova Beach had some lovely views, great bedroom settings and a unique collection of antique lanterns (visit www.twiddy.com to see more images). Turn to page 20 to see Playtime for Tiny Tots, a vintage collection of children’s prints with angled building blocks. Stars in My Garden, page 30, is a pretty flannel quilt with a spring-looking palette. Australian Mountains (page 94) uses bold designs outlined with irregular borders to make cool blocks. We are also excited about our earth-friendly tote to celebrate Earth Awareness Day and our sweet framed wall art that celebrates the joys in life!

Of course there is so much more. If you are up to your elbows in spring cleaning and your sewing room is one that you avoid tackling, read Lisa Swenson Ruble’s anecdote about organizing her space! In Quilting Friends, we also have a spirited story about

the Yo-Yo Ladies and what they are doing to bring happiness to their town and the world of quilting. We hope you enjoy this issue as much as we have enjoyed putting it together for you, with its variety of patterns, inspiring stories and rainbow of color!

Deb Hearn
Editor-in-Chief

Tags: ,

• Barbara says:

Posted February 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I love your magazine!
    However, from the April/May 2009 issue, I am unable to purchase the Dance with the Fairies kit. I can get into the website, but there are no options to order this project. Any advice?
    b

• sharon says:

Posted February 18, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Trying to get a kit for the Rustic Flannel throw, doesnt have where I can purchase….where can I get the kit??

Posted February 20, 2009 at 10:13 am

Sharon,

Thanks for your post to our website. Unfortunately, not every quilt in our issues has a kit available for ordering and this one falls into that category. Beautiful flannels can be found, however, at most fabric stores and quilt shops so you can make this quilt specifically yours!

• Mae Wells says:

Posted February 20, 2009 at 11:06 am

I just received the April/May 2009 issue and enjoyed the article on “The Gifts of the Yo-Yo Ladies.” I would like to have the pattern for the yo-yo chickens pictured. Any chance of getting it?

Posted February 22, 2009 at 8:08 am

Mae,

The chicken pattern was developed by one of our members exclusively for the museum gift shop. We have been asked many times for the pattern but until the museum stops carrying the chickens we will have to keep that pattern for them. They are available by mail from the gift shop. Sorry.

• Katie says:

Posted February 22, 2009 at 10:39 am

Just wondering who the manufacturer of the fabrc for the “Love at First Sight Baby Quilt” is?

Posted February 22, 2009 at 11:51 am

Katie,

The fabric collection used in “Love at First Sight” is the FIrst Sight collection by Michael Miller Fabrics, http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com

• Malathia says:

Posted February 23, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I love the new issue.

• Iva Kinney says:

Posted February 25, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I loved your cover pattern but can’t seem to find a source for the fabric. Ihave tried the source listed (exclusively quilters.com) and they didn’t they did not have any there. I tried keepsake quilting and they did not have it. Could you tell me where it might be available. Thank you Iva

• Holly Hill says:

Posted March 5, 2009 at 11:45 am

I have this most recent magazine and I want to make the Save the Planet Tote bag, however when I read over the instructions I find them very confusing for some reason. If you could give me any more information on this tote pattern that would be great.

• QUILT says:

Posted March 6, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Holly,

I would love to help you. Email your questions to quiltmag@epix.net.

• Sherrie Bouldin says:

Posted March 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm

In the April/May 2009 issue I saw a pattern/advertisement called Grape Basket using the “Celebrating Abe” fabrics. I’ve checked on this site, checked on the squareinasquare site and I can’t find the grape basket pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted March 17, 2009 at 5:26 am

Sherrie,

Click on “Resources”/”Fabric Stash” and you will find the Grape Basket image on the second row. Click on the block image and you will see an introductory page where you can click “Download PDF” and receive an instruction sheet which will load to your computer and can be printed.

• Barb Enerson says:

Posted March 19, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Help please………The bottom of Page 16 in this issue says “Go to http://www.quiltmag.com to find the directions to make all five blocks.” One of the blocks is for Grandmother’s Rose Garden. I cannot find the directions for this block in your website. Can you tell me specifically where to find it please? Thank you!

Posted March 23, 2009 at 5:41 am

Barb,

The Grandmother’s Rose Garden block can be found by going to “Resources”/”Fabric Stash” and clicking on the image of the block on the first row. On the page that opens, click on “Download PDF” and a file with instructions will load to your computer and can be printed.

• V is for Valerie… « Any Day In May says:

Posted March 30, 2010 at 11:39 am

[...] inspiration came from a combination of sources. The April/May ‘09 edition of Quilt Magazine featured an appliqued cherry quilt with a braided border, designed by Karen DuMont. I [...]

• Ann Brown says:

Posted March 31, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I would like to find the pattern for the “Sweet Pink Daisies” quilt in the April/May 2009, issue of QUILT MAGAZINE, pg 88.
    Thank you.
    Ann Brown
    abrown27@verizon.net

• Bobbi Smith says:

Posted June 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I would also love to have the pattern for the “Sweet Pink Daisies” quilt. Could you re-issue that pattern or make it available to purchase?

Love this magazine, always find something to quilt out of each one.

Bobbi

• Julie Jedlicka says:

Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I am in need of the templates for the “Spring Tulips” pattern that is in the # 99 issue of Quilt magazine. This is the April/May 2009 publication. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
    Julie

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

Templates have been sent to you via email.

Keep Quilting

• Jonna appleby says:

Posted August 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Hi can u possibly email me the spring tulips pattern from the April 09 issue been looking for it for a while thanks again jonna appleby

• rosemariecarson says: