Posted on Thursday, December 4, 2008 | By Linda Smoker | 16 Comments

QUILT, Issue #97 – Feb/Mar 2009

Dear Quilting Friends,

Isn’t it interesting how a mother can speak without a word being said? It just takes a look or a gesture and a child knows that his mother has spoken! And even though fabrics are wordless, it is amazing how they can talk as well. Not too long ago, I previewed the upcoming fabric collections at International Quilt Market in Houston. I felt like each line I looked at was saying, “Pick me! I will make a great quilt!”

When I designed quilts for fabric companies years ago, the experience was wonderful; not only working with fabrics that I love, but also an exercise in stretching my creativity with collections that might not be my cup of tea! Let’s face it…we all have our favorites, whether we prefer batiks, retro, or repro. But I’ve grown to really appreciate the strength of them all, especially when placed in just the right quilt design.

And that’s what you’ll find in this issue: stunning fabrics in great designs photographed in the foothills of the Virginia Shennandoah at the historic 1770 William Cox Inn (www.williamcoxinn.com). Turn the pages to find cute quilts for kids, such as I Spy In My Garden or Everything Nice, or Cottage Romance and Hearts! Hearts! Hearts! for valentine lovers. Looking forward to spring, there’s the Bunny Hop pillow on page 94 and Pocketful of Posies (page 36). We even have a quilt to get started for Mother’s Day called Time for Tea with a bonus tea cozy. Love those batiks? Check out the beautiful Walk on the Beach on page 32. I think you’ll be pleased when you see the great variety of our 17 inspiring patterns!

While at Market, the editorial staff noted the current trends in the quilt industry. Turn to page 64 to read about what’s hot in your quilt shop. In this issue you’ll also learn how to miter scalloped print borders, create fun shaped yo-yos and even make your own chenille. Another one of my favorites is the Quilting Friends feature on page 97. This story is so sweet it will make you smile, reading about children making quilts for children…all around the world!

So enjoy all the inspiration and ideas in this issue and be sure to take time to hear what fabrics may be saying, whether at your local quilt shop or in your very own stash!

Keep on quilting ~

Debbie
Editor-in-Chief

Tags: ,

• Kathleen says:

Posted December 18, 2008 at 11:09 am

Love your magazine. Great color photos

• bonnie paros says:

Posted March 17, 2009 at 10:33 am

please help me find the pattern for the cute
    little apron in issue #97 on page 48 – thanks
    bonnie paros

Posted March 23, 2009 at 5:35 am

Bonnie,

Go to “Sewing Projects”/”Accessories” and you will see an image of the apron on the second row. Click on the image and it will take you to an introductory page. On this page click “Download PDF” and instructions will load to your computer and can be printed.

• Agnes says:

Posted April 7, 2009 at 3:47 pm

A subscriber is looking for the directions for Hole in the barn door.
    Page 12 in Feb/March 2009issue

Posted April 13, 2009 at 8:31 am

Agnes,

The Fabric Stash blocks are located on our website at http://www.quiltmag.com. Go to “Resources”/”Fabric Stash” and you will see an image of each block. Click on the image and then when the introductory page comes up, click “Download pdf”. This will load a page of instructions for making the block to your computer which can be printed.

• Lety Santisteban says:

Posted May 6, 2009 at 2:13 pm

• Eileen Rutledge says:

Posted July 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I am looking for the pattern Down Under Wonder featured in the Feb/Mar Issue #97. How can I get it?

Posted July 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

I will send you a copy of this pattern by email.

• Angelia says:

Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I am looking for the Feb/Mar 2009 Issue of Quilt Magazine (Issue # 97) and the publishing Backorder Dept does not have copies. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I would like the Down Under Wonder pattern. Can You help me,please. I have been collecting the fabric for the past three years. I now have them all.Would love a picture included if possible.Thanks tons in advance if you can help me out!!!

Thanks,

Angelia

Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I would be happy to send you this pattern by email. Be sure and send us a picture of the finished quilt so we can post it to our website!

• Juli Miller says:

Posted September 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Is is possible to get the pattern for Hearts! Hearts! Hearts! in you Feb/Mar 2008 issue?

Posted September 23, 2011 at 8:51 am

I’d be happy to send you that pattern via email!

• L Jarratt says:

Posted May 13, 2012 at 12:12 am

I’m trying to find the pattern for the Down Under Wonder quilt. Is it available anywhere? Thank you.

• Marion Schmidt says:

Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m trying to find the pattern for Hollyhocks coordinating strip quilt.
    Is it available? Thank you

• Nicole Hanson says:

Posted August 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I am making your 15″ Spring Basket of Blooms from Feb/Mar Quilt Magazine, Issue #97. I would like instructions for the size of the setting blocks in order to turn all these blocks into a quilt, pretty please.
    Thank you.
    Nicole

• mary buers says:

Posted September 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’m looking for the Down Under Wonder featured in issue #97 Feb/Mch issue. I have all the fabric but not the pattern. Thanks