Posted on Monday, May 9, 2011 | By Jackie Kunkel | 11 Comments

Being Inspired By Color

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about color and how we become inspired to use it in our quilts. I think partly it is because Spring is in full bloom now and there is lots of color to be seen everywhere. But it isn’t just outside that there is color. That is where I will begin.

One of my favorite colors is yellow and the daffodils are in all their glory right now. Here are a few of mine with that bright, beautiful saturated yellow you look for when making a bright quilt.

Another favorite color these day is orange. As luck might have it, I actually have an orange Azalea. It isn’t blooming just yet, so this photo is from last year right around this time. Interestingly enough my Azalea is no where near this point yet.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to visit a Dale Chihuly exhibit and I can’t begin to describe his fabulous use of color. I was so inspired that day by his wonderful works of glass art, that I just wanted to start to play with fabric right away. If you ever have a chance to see his work, do it… fast… you won’t be disappointed.

In my normal daily routine, I am constantly inspired by my thread collection and my fabrics. It is a quilter’s heaven to me! Lots and lots of saturated color exists everywhere in my studio. I am lucky enough to be able to walk into this room on a daily basis and have these wonderful items at my finger tips.

So, in conclusion, where do you get your color inspiration from and which is your favorite color? I would love to know!

Jackie Kunkel

About the Author: Jackie Kunkel

I am very passionate about my quilting. I have been quilting as a hobby now for close to 18 years. My husband didn't know what was in store when, I turned it into a business in the year 2000, when I purchased my first Gammill quilting machine and began to quilt customers quilt tops. Since then, I have also been designing quilts and recently took to the lecture circuit. Now, I also own my own online Quilt shop and sell top quality quilting fabric!! I am also an active quilting blogger and publish Quilting Podcasts to iTunes on a monthly basis.  I am usually doing something that is quilt related daily.

• Mary Val says:

Posted May 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’m a sucker for colors, hard to choose a favorite, but would have to say fall colors. Greens, rusts, oranges, golds. But I do ‘em all. The only color I don’t pick for something for myself is pink. I use the color when it’s a gift, but not for myself. I love intense colors, and the subtle ones. Totally a color junkie.

• Elisa says:

Posted May 9, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I have always been a big fan of teal blue/aquamarine/turquoise b/c it reminds me of the tropical ocean (as opposed to the ocean in New England, which is brown). I’ve been told the ocean is blue b/c of the reflection of the sky (but then how do you explain the brown ocean here? seaweed? suspended particles?). I, personally, cannot commit to one favorite color (or even one best friend– they are all special in their own way). Colors are amazing in different contexts and combinations– so I am open-minded, b/c I like different things in different moods. As a child of the 70s (born in ’66) I LOVED purple and orange when I was in early elementary school. But now, I am just indecisive and inspired by things I never thought I would be.

• Robyn says:

Posted May 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Hello Jackie,
    Love this article!
    Like you I adore colour and find inspiration everywhere… flowers, paint pots, fabric, beautiful skies… etc.
    Thanks for the colour provoking thought.
    Robyn xx

• Kathlene says:

Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:00 am

Inspiration comes from everywhere! My favorite colors change with the seasons. Spring flowers, summer beaches, glorious fall leaves, and winter’s icy brilliance. And oh yes, just walk into your favorite fabric store and try to keep your hands in your pockets. You can’t do it! Do you know the bright pink Kona solid feels different than the dazzling yellow? Kidding of course, but fess-up, you do have to touch both of them. Don’t you? Let me add that,if you ever get a chance to watch Dale Chihuly producing that glass art, don’t pass it up. It is amazing.

• Amy says:

Posted May 10, 2011 at 5:42 am

I get a lot of inspiration from flickr & blogs. Orange & aqua is on my mind a lot lately…

Favorite? I love em all! (But in fabric I am not loving them all mixed together so much.)

• Sue says:

Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Light green and purple or fushia and teal. I get inspired by the fabric design
    Or other designs I see in prints.

• Barb says:

Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Blue, Blue, BLUE! When I first started quilting all quilts were blue. I have grown and expanded my palette, but when I walk into the fabric store I am still drawn to the blues first

• Salley says:

Posted May 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

The perceived colour of fabric will always be controlled by the ambient light. Ever picked a solid at the shopping mall only to find its different in the day light or home light/summer light /or winter light?
    A single colour may be a favourite but will sing or cry depending what it is married with.
    Even “muddy” colours can compliment saturated clear colours if they bounce off eachother perfectly
    Me? I cant live without colour .

• char says:

Posted May 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

I like lots of color and always have. I think it’s why I’m so drawn to scrap quilts. 50 colors are always better than 5!
    I’ve always loved lime and right now I have a periwinkle, orchid, aqua and lime thing going on.

• patty says:

Posted May 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

My inspirations come from abstract artand from fabric. For my quilts I can’t say I have a favorite color – I use them all! I do love vibrant intense colors and the more the better.

• Enid says:

Posted June 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I loved your blog on color! I look forward to more!!